We treat gum recession in our dental office. Keeping your teeth and gums healthy is important to staying in good health overall, and to prevent tooth pain. Gum recession can become extremely painful as the roots of your teeth become exposed. Preventative care will stop your gums from receding and reduce your risk of pain.
Gums recede for a variety of reasons, some of which are genetic. There are, however, things you can do to prevent gum recession. Here are some of the suggestions we give to patients.
- Stop Smoking. When you use tobacco products, cigarettes or cigars, a sticky plaque can form on your teeth. This is difficult to remove and if left on your teeth and gums will turn into tartar which is nearly impossible to remove on your own. We can remove it through regular teeth cleanings, but it is better to keep this plaque off of your teeth to begin with.
- Correct Your Bite. If your bite is off it can put additional pressure on your teeth and your gums. This pressure can in turn cause your gums to recede. Avoid this problem by speaking with your dental office about the ways you can align your bite.
- Brush with a Soft Toothbrush. When you brush aggressively, it can harm your gums, causing them to recede. Substitute your hard toothbrush for a soft one and brush slowly and with purpose. You can also purchase an electric toothbrush that is able to remove more plaque without being harsh.
- Floss after Meals. Brushing alone is not enough to remove all of the food and plaque that is left on your teeth and your gum line. Flossing will help to remove some of this build up but should be done regularly.
- Rinse with Mouthwash. The bacteria that remains on your teeth and gums after brushing and flossing is very difficult to remove. An antiseptic mouthwash can help. Use it on a daily basis to remove the bacteria that has been left behind.
- Visit Your Dental Office Twice a Year. This is an important part of staying in good oral health. We are able to remove the plaque and bacteria from your gum line that at home care simply cannot. It is difficult to reach all of the areas that bacteria can hide, and when it is left along your gum line it will lead to gum disease and further gum recession.
As a dental office, we stress the importance of preventative care. It is less painful, more cost effective, and more comfortable than waiting to see the dentist once your pain has become severe. We can often prevent cavities, gum recession, and gum disease from ever forming. In fact, if gum recession is left alone pockets will develop between the tooth and gums where bacteria can hide. Once there, that bacteria can lead to full-blown gum disease and tooth decay. It can also cause your roots to become infected, requiring a root canal. By visiting us twice a year, you can avoid these painful complications and stay in good health.
People often ask us how to select a dentist for a family. When an individual is selecting a dentist for his or her family, the individual wants to make the right decisions. This is the …
If you have sensitive teeth, visit our Little Elm dentist office. We will examine you to determine if there are any cavities or gum disease that could be creating the issue. If you have a …
A visit to the dental office is probably the single most effective way to prevent infections, cavities, and oral diseases. We have found that people who visit the dental office on a regular basis have …
As a dental office, we understand how important teeth are. Our digestive process begins with the act of chewing and so protecting our teeth is essential. In the modern world, our children are faced with …